Want to get paid to play games?
Coalition Game Studios is a web-based group that provides tabletop game consulting and developing services. Our mission is to offer professional quality assurance, oversight, and creative collaboration to publishers, small studios, and independent designers.
We have been online since April of 2016, and so far our client volume suggests that we will continue to grow as we move forward.
As such, we are currently looking for a freelance game developer with strong writing experience to join our team.
For the best idea of what you’ll be doing, refer to our service summary.
For our standard services, you will be handling client work orders that generally span four to eight weeks. Your responsibilities for each of these work orders will include:
- Coordinating and logging blind focus group playtesting to the client’s indicated session depth
- Stress-testing to determine a game’s quality and patency
- Maintaining professional and consistent contact with clients and Coalition administration
- Working on a deadline
- Maintaining strict confidentiality to client’s specifications
- Generating a critical evaluation report that condenses your feedback and notes into structured and actionable insights
Clients may also upgrade to additional services. You will be aware of these additional services before you agree to take the work order. These services could include:
- Playtester survey data entry
- Prototype mock-up/PnP assembly
- Ongoing collaborative design partnership
- Rules manual copy editing, writing
Furthermore, the client may make custom specifications, or request services outside of our normal scope. This may mean something simple, like targeting a desired demographic in testing, or stress-testing a specific element or interaction. It could also mean something more complicated, such as marketing research or long-term project management. These cases are handled on an individual basis–and, again, you would know the details before agreeing to take the work order.
- Past experience with published writing (paid preferred)
- High level of familiarity with tabletop games and design theory
- Access to multiple tabletop gaming groups, with at least twenty unique individuals, that would be agreeable to play prototype games
- Past experience with paid tabletop game design and/or development.
- Established game review persona–copy, podcast, or video
- Availability to Skype or video stream playtesting sessions with other consultants
Compensation and Benefits
Work orders for our standard services vary widely. Taking a glance at a client’s micro game may only pay $40, but dissecting Twilight Imperium at our deepest testing levels would be close to $1700. The fee ultimately depends on the requested testing depth, and the game’s length, projected rules weight, and maximum player count. Beyond our administrative fee, all payment from the case is yours to keep.
As for benefits, you can expect the following:
- You set your own schedule–you’ll never be forced to take on any clients that you can’t or don’t wish to take.
- You will know the details and synopsis of each work order before you elect to take it.
- You get to play games. And you get paid to do it.
How to Apply
For any inquiries, please contact me directly at email@example.com. Make sure to include:
- Your CV, with emphasis on your experience in the game industry
- An attachment or link to a sample of your writing.
Thank you very much for considering, and we look forward to hearing from you,
Founder, Senior Consultant